Frequently asked questions / Terms and Conditions
Buying from Fleetscale
Visit the online store for further detailsRead about ordering & most up to date info here
Your a manufacturer and not a online shop what does that mean?
We can deliver products efficiently and with lower cost this way. It does mean we manufacturer to order and rarely supply to other stores even if physical or online. Please be aware orders can take from a matter of days to weeks or in very rare occasions months (including shipping). We ship globally and are based in the UK.
What does scratch modelling mean?
In its literal sense scratch modelling means building from the plan from scratch – from basic materials and no completed parts. That includes the hull, deck, superstructure and all the fittings. It would be a very difficult and skilled job to build a model warship hull from the type of plans that are available. When Fleetscale build a new model the hull mould is produced from a wooden pattern by a highly skilled pattern maker to an accuracy of the nth degree. The plans that we supply for completing a model from a Fleetscale hull are generally not suitable for building the hull alone. For this we have to rely on the original builders plans which are scaled to produce the model scale required. It can be extremely difficult to obtain the builders plans. Building a model from a Fleetscale hull – and better still a deck if available, is much the easier and cost effective way to complete a very accurate scale model ship.
What is a semi kit?
A semi kit is a part kit. You get the basics – the more the better if you want to complete the model in the shortest possible time. Everything has to be put together with a certain amount of skill in DIY techniques, using the correct adhesives etc. The fittings would be time consuming to produce from scratch so if they are available for the particular model you wish to build it would be a good decision to use them. Another decision to be made is how accurate do you want your model ship to be. Do you want it to be accurate in close up (fine scale) and survive close scrutiny by an expert – suitable as a museum display piece – or do you want it to look good in the water from a distance of 10 – 15 ft (stand off scale) or even closer for viewing by non experts. Whilst the fine scale model could also be a working model with propulsion and radio control it would be fitted with accurate scale model propellers and rudders which would be relatively expensive to obtain (but they are available, just the same) compared with the stand off scale model which would simply be fitted with propellers and rudders that would be purely functional.
How easy is it to build a semi kit?
It depends on your skills. A semi kit is not like a shop Kit where all the plastic injection moulded parts slot together – a place for everything – and everything in it’s place. With the shop kit (or similar) you will get an exploded parts drawing with everything numbered and labeled and a slot or hole for everything. With a semi kit you have to read and interpret the plans and make sure you position everything in the correct place and in the right build order. If you are new to building model ships we highly recommend checking out some of the magazines and books available.
The plans are hard to read … what do I do?
The superstructure of a warship is extremely complicated and cluttered with equipment, more so than a merchant ship. It can be difficult to define exactly what is what and goes where unless you have already built a model ship. If you really are stuck you will find the answers you need by studying photographs of the actual ship (they exist for every ship that has been built) or visiting a museum where they may be exhibiting the original builders model or indeed visiting the actual ship.
Can I buy plans only and really scratch build?
Of course you can, but you’ll need some plans and research before embarking on such a complicated task! Some people like to buy the plans first to see what they are letting themselves in for, then they buy the semi kit.
I live overseas … what about shipping costs?
At Present its very hard to to gauge shipping costs, we run an invoice system for international shipping. Do please be aware, international shipping for such items does not come cheaply.
What do I do about motors, running gear, radio control etc?
We recommend reading many of the books and magazines avaliable to guide you, or pop down to a local retailer. We do not supply radio control equipment and cannot advise you. Running gear (prop shafts, propellers, rudders) is available for some models from us and we can quote you for the supply of same.
Due to fact that your order will be specially built and that all our hulls and fittings are expertly manufactured by craftsman by hand, it can take some time to get an order together. At present the lead times on many hulls and parts is 7-21 days. Although items are shipped (if all payment has been received) immediately upon completion it can take up to 28days theirafter for the good to be recived.
It is our goal for customers in the UK to receive orders to their door within 31 days and Internationally 55 days.
It maybe neccesary for FleetScale to contact you reference your order or possible shipping costs; Therefore please ensure your contact details are correct.
Orders placed at online store – It’s never been easier to shop with Fleetscale!
Orders placed online are processed immediately , the online store is designed to explain our simple and effective checkout process. The online store acts as an full catalog but can also print orders out for should you wish to post or discuss an order, or arrange a different payment and shipping. The online store will guide your through the process. It is simple,secure and easy to use.
You can choose to print our your order and send it in with a Cheque or use our online payment system.
Orders placed by post,fax or telephone
If you wish to place an order by post, fax or telephone please ensure you have either the product number or description to hand. These orders can take longer to produce. You can find out contact details on the contact us page.
We accept payment online via our merchant , sage pay which accepts and secures all major credit and debit cards.
We also accept paypal.
We can accept payment over the telephone for most major credit and debit cards.
Cheques are to be made out to : WESTWARD MOULDINGS LTD
and sent to the same address as featured on the contact us page.
(Please remember to ask for a shipping price if contacting us via telephone/post)
*Customers statements/transactions reference will be either featuring westward mouldings ltd or Fleetscale or an shortened version of either.
Please read FAQ-Shipping
Additional costs & Invoices
Fleetscale will contact a customer prior to proceeding with an order if a problem or cost issues such as shipping arises. No goods will be shipped without full payment.
Fleetscales models offer the best accuracy and give an acceptable level of compromise when modelling. Fleetscale leaves the heard modelling work to you, wither that’s construction, painting, running or controlling.
Fleetscales models can be static or remote controlled, Fleetscale does not offer support or advice on remote controlled elements of model warship modelling.
* As you can see ,we’ve just updated our website, so the team is just letting the clever engineering department finish of the main site before uploading data here. It won’t be long and should deploy week commencing 24th March , sorry for the mess!
Terms and Conditions
Our policy: “If a problem occurs, please do get in contact and we will try to sort it out as quickly and easily as possible”
- Orders placed by any other means then the online store are as arranged.
- Orders do not ship without payment or shipping payment
- The prices shown in this website ONLY apply to orders placed via this website. This website listing of products SHOULD NOT be used as a price quotation for orders NOT placed via this website, however we reserve the right to modify all prices without notice.
- Should a price increase occur before the prices on this website have been updated whilst an order has been placed we reserve the right to ask the
customer for the difference or make a refund in full.
- Shipping will be via various courier/parcel services or Royal Mail whichever
is the most cost effective. If more than one hull is ordered and they can be nested inside each other the shipping cost will be reduced. Fittings with the hull(s) will be free of shipping charges when packed with the hulls.
- Because we supply many different products and because of frequently increasing costs it is not possible to accurately cost shipping charges as quoted by the online shopping system for delivery to any destination other than the UK and prices quoted are only approximate. Use the system to pay by credit card in the usual way but remember here could be a shipping surcharge, but possibly a refund of a portion of the shipping charge.
- A full refund will be given on our products provided they are returned unsoiled and undamaged within 7 days after receipt. The shipping cost will be the responsibility of the customer.
- Delivery will normally be within 28 days. Some bought in fittings may take longer. If delivery on complete sets cannot be achieved within 28 days (because of outside suppliers) the customer will be notified and may choose to either cancel or accept a split delivery. Products of Fleetscale manufacture (Hulls & Fleetscale fittings) will normally be dispatched within 14 days.
- FleetScale reserves the right to change, modify or update any element of its polices, prices or products at any time.
- The online forum is run and managed by Fleetscale. Fleetscale reserves the right to remove,ban and users and posts at any time if not deemed relevant to the quality of the forum.
- FleetScale ensures transactions, customer data (weither in store, forum or othterwise) is protected as far as its legal responability extends.
All Fleetscale products are copyright and must not be reproduced in any way, without
the permission of Westward Mouldings Ltd. Anyone who copies fleetscale hulls, fittings, parts or mouldings without permission will be prosecuted.